Monday, August 17, 2009

98% Selfish

I recently cut my hair and donated the 12" away to a good cause. Someone asked me if that was my plan all along. I said that in the back of my mind I was hoping to be able to do something good. The fact remains, I liked having long hair and I like having short hair. My desire to have long hair was 98% selfish and about 2% selfless.

I think it is good when the things we like to do can be used for the good of others. For example there is a group called Sportsmen Against Hunger and they give some of their wild game to agencies that provide free meals. The hunters like to hunt and they can give some of their game to help feed people. This is good.

There are other ways we can take the things we like and use them to help others. I would encourage you to think about some ways in your own life that the things you like to do may be able to help others.

Not all of our service has to be 100% selfless, sometimes 2% selfless is helpful to another human being.

No comments: