Tuesday, April 26, 2011

mission blessing


As many of you know we live and work on an Army base. My function on the base is related to providing religious support to the people who live and work here. Most of the time that ministry looks like any other civilian pastor's ministry. Occasionally I get the opportunity to do things that aren't in the scope of most civilian pastor's ministry.

A few weeks ago was one of those functions. We had a mission here, which is a big deal for us and the last few missions they haven't had a "mission blessing". This mission they decided that they wanted to have a mission blessing. I was asked by one of our church members who is one of the mission leaders if I would go to one of the other islands where a key part of the mission was taking place and bless the mission.

I joked with a few people that I was pretty sure that mission blessings aren't in a Lutheran pastor's Occasional Services book. I was honored to be asked and I accepted the offer and was able to bless the mission and the people there.

No comments: