Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Now

I was talking with a friend today about an MS fund raising ride they are doing in the fall. Knowing that I like to cycle they asked me if I was going to try to ride in the event. I said I would like to do but didn't know how my body would be in the fall. I have learned a new appreciation for the now. I feel less guaranteed about the future and so I am learning more deeply to enjoy now.

There is a lesson in this for all of us. You don't have to have a chronic illness to begin to appreciate the now. So often we feel like life will be better someday, when something happens to make it that way. While we are thinking about the future, we are missing the now.

Jesus says the kingdom of God is available now, that eternity breaks into the now. He also says that God will care for us in the future. Live now.

One of the great ways to cultivate living in the now is by being looking around at things in your life you can be thankful for and give thanks. Cultivating gratefulness is a powerful spiritual practice.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: