Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Turkey Day 10

Day 10 Pergamum

We visited only one site today because we had such a long bus day. Thank you for your prayers, I did well. In the morning the Lord reminded me that I could download books for my iPhone and so I downloaded a Jack Reacher novel. Those of you who have read him know that I made a good choice. Listening to a book made the whole trip so much better and I wish I would have done it sooner but better late than never.

The site we visited today was the ancient city of Pergamum, which is mentioned in Revelation chapter two. The city sits on top of a hill overlooking a beautiful valley. It has the steepest theater in Asia Minor with amazing acoustics for a theater with a seating capacity of roughly 8,000. You can stand on the stage area and be heard throughout the theater using only a speaking voice. We had one of our tours members go down and sing a few verses of a hymn while we were over half way up and heard him clearly, pretty cool.

The other mildly interesting thing is that we went to a Starbucks on one of our restroom breaks. It was fun being at Starbucks in Turkey, and yes it looks exactly the same only a little more expensive.

Tomorrow we go to Nicea where the Nicean Creed was formulated and visiting a well-known Mosque known as the Green Mosque. From there we are travelling to Istanbul.

For some photos click here.

No comments: