Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Turkey Day 9

Turkey Day Nine

Today we travelled to the ancient city ruins of Miletus. This is the city where Paul said goodbye to the elders from Ephesus before departing to Jerusalem. He was eager to get to the city before Pentecost (Acts 20:16ff). It was a touching seen in the book of Acts where we see the deep love Paul has for the leaders he served Christ with in Ephesus. While we were in the old theater Pr. Mark lead the Presbyterian elders and deacons who were are on the trip in their commissioning service (like our commissioning of council members) and prayed for them. During that time I couldn’t help but think of the people who labor with me and with our other staff members at MLC. I felt such a tenderness, respect and love for all who care so deeply about the mission and ministry of Christ in our community and who support our pastors and staff. I am truly thankful for you all and I lifted you before the Lord in prayer at the center of that theater today. Thank you.

From there we visited a leather factory showroom. High quality leather is one of the major exports to France, Spain and other European countries from Turkey. Most of the world’s fine leather goods are made in Turkey.

We ended our short day with a trip to the Basilica of St. John. This is church where St. John was originally buried. It is now in ruins but it was great being at the original site of his burial. He bones are no longer there; they are in museums in other cities.


Tomorrow is a huge day with somewhere around 8-9 hours on the bus. The early wakeups challenge me, as do the long bus days. Continue to keep me in your prayers, especially that I might not miss the wonder of the places because of my fatigue.

Much love to you all.

Jon

Photos are here

No comments: